Saturday 28 March 2009

60th Birthday Cupcakes

One of the ladies at work is on a really strict diet. When it was time to order the comic relief cupcakes she asked me if I could make some for her dad's 60th birthday party instead. All of them would be chocolate but some of them would have to be very low fat.
First I tried a non-fat sponge recipe but it made really rubbery cakes. In the end I thought that the best thing to would be to make a low fat muffin instead. They didn't work out very well as I forgot to add the sugar - a D'OH! moment if ever there was one!

She'd asked me to make chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, an adult chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and the low fat chocolate with chocolate frosting. I used a lower fat butter for all the chocolate buttercream but because it wasn't as firm, I ended up having to use more icing sugar to get it to a piping consistency. I think I'm going back to normal butter.


It was the adult chocolate cakes that I was most impressed with. Does the picture give you a clue?
I found a recipe for Jack Daniels chocolate velvet cake. They made really squidgy cupcakes. Despite having 3 shots of Jack Daniels in the recipe, they didn't really taste of it but you could definitely smell the alcohol in the cakes.

No comments: